+86 21 6086 0121
Leslie Xu, a PRC lawyer, focuses on intellectual property law and has a rich experience advising both multinational and Chinese businesses on a wide range of intellectual property law issues. He has helped clients, including many Fortune 500 companies, on overall intellectual property strategy, including trademark, copyright, internet domain name and patent and enforcing their IP rights through administrative and judicial channels across China. He is particularly skilled in advising on trademark portfolio management, including selecting trademarks, filing, and enforcement strategies in accordance with clients’ commercial objectives. His practice also includes advising on IP related anti-unfair competition.
Leslie also has academic experience of conducting research in the USA and Europe as a visiting scholar. Much of Leslie’s research focuses on trademark law’s implications for society.
- Intellectual property
- Represented The Home Depot, Charles Schwab, Honeywell, Garrett, DuPont, Datalogic, WD-40, Best Buy, Four Seasons Hotels, Canada Goose, Michael Kors, AEO, etc. through administrative protection, customs protection, C&D letters, online complaints, civil litigation, and other channels to effectively stop infringements;
- Provided full-range services for Johnson Controls to protect their well-known brands in fields such as temperature control, machinery, and energy, etc., assisting with trademark portfolio management including filing and IP DD, domain name disputes, and internet infringement protection, etc.;
- Represented Charles Schwab in conducting annual market checks in China, and effectively protected client’s rights through online investigations, onsite investigations, and complaints to the Hong Kong Company Registry;
- Represented a multinational frozen food company in safeguarding their core business interests in China through new registrations, cancellation, litigation, negotiation, and signing of agreements, etc.;
- Represented a US client against a local trademark squatter, forced the counterparty to abandon customs protection of IP rights and promptly smoothed the detained shipments, through a series of legal actions;
- Represented a UK client in defending against suspected violations of Advertising Law before a local administrative authority, and successfully avoided heavy penalties and safeguarded the client’s reputation.
- East China University of Political Science and Law, PhD Candidate in IP Law
- University of California, Berkeley, Co-supervision of PhD Thesis Study/ Visiting Scholar
- University of Warsaw, International Exchange PhD Student
- East China University of Political Science and Law, J.M.
- Changes in the US Trademark Registration Examining Standard for Offensive Marks and its Inspiration – A Discussion Starting from COVID-19 Related Trademark Applications, Intellectual Property, 2021
- Understanding and Application of the Adverse Effect Clause of Trademark Law, Electronics Intellectual Property, 2020
- Fighting against COVID-19 Related Trademark Applications: How China Reversed the Trend, China Intellectual Property, 2020
- New Trends in China’s Administrative Protection of Trademarks: Comment and Analysis of Typical Cases from 2017 to 2019, IPR Daily, 2020