+86 21 6086 0101
Joy Gao leads Shanghai Pacific’s banking and finance practice. She is a banking and finance lawyer and advises banks and borrowers on a wide range of financings, with a particular focus on cross-border bilateral and syndicated finance, cross-border real estate finance, acquisition finance and corporate lending. She also has extensive experience with offshore bond issuance by PRC enterprises or offshore enterprises under “overseas red-chip structures” with substantial business in PRC.
In addition, Joy has advised on many of the cross-border transactions from the PRC regulatory perspective, in particular dealing with foreign exchange controls, funds inflow and outflow and China-related cross border securities. She can deepen into the rationale behind what appears to be frequent changes to laws and policies in PRC so that to help international clients navigate the changes more accurately and better respond to them.
Joy Gao’s client portfolio includes foreign and domestic financial institutions, corporates, and investment funds and private equity firms. Through years of practice, she has a good understanding of how to bridge the gap and resolve the issues that commonly emerge in transactions involving domestic and international entities.
- Banking and finance
- Debt capital market
- Private equity
- Financial institutions
- Advised Tianqi Lithium Corporation (002466.SZ) on raising syndicated facilities in an aggregated amount of USD3.5 billion from two syndicates to acquire A shares of the global lithium giant, Sociedad Quimica y Minera de Chile S.A. (a company listed on Santiago Stock Exchange, Santiago Electronic Stock Exchange, Valparaiso Stock Exchange and New York Stock Exchange) from Nutrien Ltd. for the consideration of approximately USD4.066 billion. (Finance Deal of the Year 2019: Acquisitions by The Asian Lawyer; Finance Deal of the Year 2019 by China Law and Practice);
- Advised a consortium by Partners Group, The Family Office Co., Sigma Delta Partners Investment and Ascent Real Estate Investors on raising syndicated facilities respectively from an offshore syndicate jointly arranged by Standard Chartered Bank and China Minsheng Bank and an onshore syndicate jointly arranged by Standard Chartered Bank, China Minsheng Bank and Shanghai Rural Commercial Bank to acquire Beijing Zhongguancun Dinghao Electronics Plaza for the consideration of approximately RMB5.72 billion. (Finance Deal of Year 2020 - by IFLR 1000 China Awards);
- Advised Carlyle on raising senior secured credit facilities from a syndicate led by Barclays to finance USD3.2 billion acquisition of Atotech B.V. from Total S.A. (Creative Financial Case in Shanghai Free Trade Zone of the Year 2017 by PBOC Shanghai Head Office);
- Advised UOB and UOB China on the onshore-offshore linked facilities granted to SZITIC Commercial Property (Group) Co., Ltd., i.e., SCPG, for acquiring three shopping malls in Nanchang, Zhuhai and Huizhou respectively owned by Walmart;
- Advised A syndicate comprising JP Morgan Chase Bank, Standard Chartered Bank, Bank of America, Bank of China, Credit Suisse AG and Citibank on PRC related matters in connection with a facility for financing ANTA acquiring Arc'Teryx;
- Advised Several syndicates comprising leading Chinese banks on real estate development loans provided to Tishman Speyer for varies of parcels under a large mixed-use project in Shanghai known as the Springs (such project is a residential, commercial and retail complex located on 66 acres of land in one of the fastest growing neighborhoods and education hubs in Shanghai);
- Advised an onshore syndicate led by UOB China and an offshore syndicate led by UOB, Credit Suisse Ag and China Citic Bank International on the onshore-offshore linked facilities for refinancing the project of Florentia Village;
- Advised Huayu Automotive Systems Company Limited (600741.SH) on a standby syndicated facility of RMB5 billion granted by a syndicate arranged by SAIC Finance Co., Ltd., ICBC and Bank of Communication;
- Advised H&H (01112.HK) on the successful issuance of USD400 million offshore senior notes by Health and Happiness (H&H) International Holdings Limited, a listed subsidiary of H&H. Goldman Sachs acted as the initial purchaser of the aforesaid senior notes. The Senior Notes were listed and quoted in the Singapore Exchange;
- Advised Tianqi Lithium Corporation (002466.SZ) on the successful issuance USD300 million Senior Guaranteed Notes (the “Notes”) offshore by Tianqi Finco Co. Ltd., which has been unconditionally and irrevocably guaranteed by Tianqi Lithium. Citigroup Global Markets Limited and UBS AG Hong Kong Branch acted as the Joint Lead Managers for the Notes. The Notes have been listed on The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited;
- Advised Shenzhen Branch of CITIC Limited on providing Standby Letter of Credit as a credit support for a USD925 million credit enhanced bond issued by Amber Treasure Ventures Limited, a subsidiary wholly owned by Nanhai Corporation Limited (00680.HK). China CITIC Bank International Limited acted as the underwriter for the bond issuance;
- Advising Lloyds Banking Group plc a prominent British bank on the impact of PRC Civil Code on the practice of taking security / guarantee in PRC and assisting in updating its internal global guide on taking guarantees and other related issues in China under the Civil Code;
- Advising ING Bank N.V.a syndicate of lenders led by ING on taking guarantee from a PRC central-government-owned enterprise, in the course of the restructure of a FPSO unit financing transaction under the PRC Civil Code;
- Advising OCBC Wing Hang Bank (China) Limited OCBC Wing Hang Bank (China) on a term loan facility made available to a consortium of a leading US private equity firm and a well-known PRC industrial and logistic real estate assets manager, which is used to finance the development of a logistics park in Jiangsu Province, China;
- Advising Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited a prominent Australian bank on the impact of the abolishment of LIBOR and the global interest reference reform on China’s lending and capital market;
- Advising Dorel Industries Inc., a Canadian-based listed manufacturing company, on taking cross-border guarantee under PRC Civil Code;
- Advising China Development Bank Hong Kong branch, on the restructure of a USD130 million term loan facility made available to a Hong Kong listed company (including but not limited to extending loan tenor and restructuring the PRC-related security package).
Awards and recognition
- Next Generation Partner: Banking and Finance – Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2018-2021
- New York